Show All Answers
No. Currently, water usage reduction is voluntary.
Roughly half of the rainwater that falls on the natural landscapes gets absorbed into the ground. This water slowly makes its way to rivers and aquifers. After a long dry summer, water levels in the reservoir are down much lower than their seasonal average, and it will take time for the reservoir to refill. Reducing water usage now will help the water levels remain healthy for fish and refill the reservoir so that there is enough for everyone. For more information and the latest updates, visit Seattle Public Utilities Blog.
CWA gets water supply from Seattle Public Utilities. The City of Redmond is a member of CWA and purchases 60% of its water from CWA. By all working together to conserve water we can help water reserves refill faster and keep people and fish healthy.
Redmond has moved early to our winter water use levels by turning off irrigation systems at City of Redmond properties. The City has also suspended temporary construction dewatering within the Critical Aquifer Recharge Areas while the Water Shortage Management Plan remains in effect.
Once the reservoirs reach sufficient levels, Seattle Public Utilities and Cascade Water Alliance will lift water shortage stages and go back to normal use.
40% of Redmond’s water comes from the groundwater aquifer beneath Redmond. This water is pumped from supply wells, treated, and distributed to Redmond residents. The other 60% of Redmond’s water comes from the Tolt River Watershed and is purchased from Cascade Water Alliance.