What types of businesses need to have a business license?

All entities engaged in business within the Redmond City limits, including those physically located in commercial or in-home locations inside the City limits, those coming inside City limits to perform work, and those who earn money without a physical presence by providing services, such as telecommunications.

Businesses Located Outside of Redmond

If your place of business is not located within the City limits, but you or your agents will be physically coming into the City to conduct business or to call on clients, you will need a Redmond business license. In addition, those who earn money without physical presence, by providing services such as telecommunications or by receiving rents, need to complete an Outside of City Business License.

House Bill 2005, passed by the Washington State Legislature in 2017, takes effect January 1, 2019. The bill created a model definition for “engaging in business” in order to create consistency amongst all Washington State cities who enforce a business licensing program. The bill also created a minimum sales/revenue threshold for those coming in to the City to conduct business. If your business is located outside of Redmond AND you will gross less than $2000.00 in Redmond, registering for a Redmond Business License is still required but will be exempt from the license fee. For more information on House Bill 2005 please visit their website, or view the related ordinance of the City of Redmond Business License code.

Show All Answers

1. Can I renew my license before December 31, for the following year?
2. What types of businesses need to have a business license?
3. What entities are exempt from business licensing requirements?
4. How long is the license in effect?
5. Can I assume the former owner's license?
6. How soon will I get my license?
7. What happens if I move my business to a new location?
8. What happens if I add another location within the Redmond City limits?
9. What are the funds collected from Business Licensing used for?
10. When is a business license denied?
11. How do outside contractors and consultants determine the license fee?
12. When there are no employees actually working in the City, as is the case with telecommunications providers, how is the fee determined?
13. Does the City of Redmond charge quarterly taxes on incomes?
14. What if my business is located outside of Redmond?
15. Who can help me confirm the zoning requirements applicable to the location of my business?
16. What is a home based business?
17. What are miscellaneous businesses?
18. What if I'm not able to use the online system?