You can save a lot on the cost of a plumbing repair if you do it yourself. But, is it worth it? Clearly, changing a 15-cent faucet washer yourself beats paying a plumber for a $75 service call. In other situations, the choice may not be as clear. Before you tackle the large jobs yourself, consider the following:
- Tools and equipment required to complete the job.
- Building codes and permits.
- Your skills and level of experience.
- Cost of materials. In some cases it is prudent to hire a plumber.
- Remember to get a few estimates and select a plumber who is licensed and bonded.