June 15, 2018 Kirkland Case/Incident #2018-21956 Kirkland, WA The following information was released this afternoon by the Kirkland Police Investigations Unit. The Kirkland Police Department is handling the investigation into the Redmond Police officer involved shooting which occurred yesterday in Kirkland.
- The deceased was a 39-year-old male resident of Washington who frequented the Kirkland and Redmond area.
- The Redmond Police had been involved in an ongoing investigation into this subject for his alleged involvement in felony crimes in King County over the previous months and had probable cause for his arrest.
- Redmond Detectives notified Kirkland Police Regional Dispatch (NORCOM) on June 13 that they would be in Kirkland conducting surveillance.
- Criminals know no jurisdictional boundaries and it is not uncommon that Redmond Detectives will work investigations which take them into the neighboring cities.
- Redmond Detectives contacted the suspect while he was fueling his vehicle to affect an arrest as a result of their investigation.
- The deceased was not compliant with the investigators' attempts to take him into custody and shots were fired.
- At least one firearm, a handgun, was located in the decedent's possession at the time of the shooting.
- The deceased was a convicted felon who had served previous time in prison.
- The identification of the deceased is being withheld pending the notification of next of kin.
Please contact the Kirkland Police Tip Line at 425-587-3515 with any information concerning this investigation.