The Redmond Trading Company was established by Fredrick Riel, William Howell, and Charlie and Hays Huffman. It was considered the anchor store for Redmond for nearly 50 years, as well as one of the largest businesses in Redmond.
The building was constructed in 1910 of red brick and was the first masonry buildings in the community. It replaced a 1908 wooden structure.
The store held multiple conveniences including a post office. Redmond’s first gasoline tank was installed on the south side of the store, facing the former railroad tracks. The goods sold at the Redmond Trading Company ranged from bins of dry goods and grain, hardware, and cloth. It also contained containers of dried prunes, beans, sugar, mocha, tapioca, and penny candies.
The Redmond Trading Company building has housed several commercial uses, been a warehouse, served as a food bank, and is presently Half Price Books. Today this building is a reminder of the City’s early commercial development and marks the beginning of the transition from wood to more permanent building materials.