Redmond School, 16600 NE 80th Street
The Redmond School was constructed in 1922, consisted of 12 rooms, and served grades 1 through 12. It has been expanded and modified over the years but maintains significant historical integrity.
The school portion was originally constructed of brown brick. The structure, in its current form, includes a 1925 addition. William Perrigo donated the land on which the school was constructed.
As it does today, the school had a strong sense of community. There was a significant amount of focus on community events such as holiday programs, dances, theatrical productions, annual carnivals, and other events often held in the auditorium.
As Redmond’s population continued to grow the Redmond School District, established in 1906 and merged in 1944 into what is today the Lake Washington School District. The Redmond School was one of the major elementary schools in the area. Many of the central figures in the development of Redmond attended this school.
In 1999, the Lake Washington School district leased the structure to the City of Redmond and it was dedicated as the Old Redmond Schoolhouse Community Center. It became a community hub, and played a central role in the community development. It offered recreational programs, room rentals, and leases.
Lake Washington School District is returning the school to operation with significant enhancements and maintenance underway beginning in 2019.
The Redmond School has demonstrated the growth of the community and unity that still continues to expand today.