Americans with Disabilities Act Program

The U.S. Congress signed the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in 1990, and it went into effect in 1992. The ADA is a civil rights law that prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities in access to jobs, public accommodations, government services and programs, public transportation, and telecommunications. 

Title I

Title I of the ADA prohibits private employers, state and local governments, employment agencies and labor unions from discriminating against qualified individuals with disabilities in job application procedures, hiring, firing, advancement, compensation, job training, and other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment. The City of Redmond is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and adheres to the requirements of Title I. 

Title II

Title II of the ADA adopts the general prohibitions against discrimination contained in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, but applies to all state and local governments, regardless of whether or not they receive federal funding. It prohibits the City from denying persons with disabilities the equal opportunity to participate in its services, programs or activities, either directly or indirectly through contractual arrangements. 

It is the policy of the City of Redmond to make every reasonable effort to provide equal access to all City facilities, services, programs, and activities for citizens with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

Requesting Accommodation

Find out how to request accommodations such as a translator or barrier removal, and how to request that documents and other materials be provided in alternate formats. Learn more about requesting an accommodation.

Filing an Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Grievance

If you feel you or another person have been denied access to a City facility, program, service or activity, please send a letter or an email to the Customer Service Desk or file a grievance online.