Planning a Project in Overlake?
The City will be updating the Overlake Planned Action, expanding the urban center boundaries, up-zoning (primarily near the station areas), and updating the development standards and incentive packages in Overlake Village during Phase 1 of the Redmond 2050 Comprehensive Plan Update, expected to be completed in the first quarter of 2023.
Proximity to Seattle
A central hub on the Eastside, Overlake is 3 miles from Downtown Bellevue and Downtown Redmond, has convenient access to SR 520, and is served by frequent local and regional express buses.
Two light rail stations opening in 2023 will enhance Overlake's connection to the region. It also enjoys unparalleled proximity to world leaders in software and digital media.
- Downtown Seattle and University of Washington - 11 miles away
- Seattle Seaport - 13 miles away
- SeaTac Airport - 21 miles away
Businesses choose Overlake in part because of its unparalleled proximity to the world’s biggest names in software and digital media.
- Home to tens-of-thousands of highly-educated, highly-paid employees
- Home to global technology and entertainment firms such as Microsoft and Nintendo
Overlake attracts people from around the world and is the third-largest jobs center in Puget Sound, with about 48,000 jobs. The density and diversity of people in Overlake helps businesses thrive. Overlake will continue to help meet community shopping, recreation, civic, cultural, entertainment and employment needs; provide attractive and safe places to live; and provide transportation options that connect people to Overlake and the region.
Zoning & Incentives
Zoning standards in Overlake Village encourage quality urban design, innovation, and sustainability. The zoning incentive program allows developments to reach up to 12 stories in some locations. A range of uses are allowed, such as:
Support Overlake Businesses
The Overlake neighborhood is experiencing higher than normal levels of construction on the path to its vision. Please remember the amount of construction will be short term, and:
- Continue to visit and support your favorite Overlake neighborhood businesses. Find more businesses by visiting the Redmond business directory at Experience Redmond.
- Find maps of construction related truck haul routes and traffic impacts on the right side of this web page.
- Reduce your driving trips - bike, walk, carpool, take the bus, or combine your errands to reduce the number of trips. Resources are available for Redmond residents and employees at Go Redmond.
- If you are not stopping to visit a business in Overlake, consider an optional driving route that eliminates the need to drive through the neighborhood.