Types of Mechanical/Electrical/Plumbing Permits
Projects that require a Mechanical, Electrical or Plumbing Permit includes but is not limited to the following. Each PDF application lists what is covered under each permit.
- New or replacement of a water heater, heat pump or furnace
- New or replacement of toilet, sink or shower fixtures
- New or altered electrical circuit, panel, or service
- Installation of commercial HVAC system
- Installation of 3-compartment sink or grease interceptor
Determine which codes you need to design under.
- International Mechanical Code (IMC)
- Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC)
- International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)
- National Electrical Code (NEC)
What's it going to cost?
Each permit is based on the value of construction and can vary depending on which process is applicable. Visit the fee schedule page to determine which fees may be applicable to your project.
For fee estimates please e-mail our Permit Technicians. Be prepared to give an accurate value of construction and fixture counts.
I still have questions?
Schedule an appointment to speak with one of our permit technicians or counter planners. We are more than happy to help answer any questions you may have.
How to Apply:
Online: You can apply for certain types of permits online using our Buy Permits Online Page. A contractors license and business license is required to use the online service.
In Person: Applicants can schedule an in-person intake appointment for any permit that requires plan review or when submitting for three or more over-the-counter (OTC) permits. Appointments are typically one hour long and guarantee service during that appointment window. The appointment allows for a comprehensive review by various departments for the required submittal documents, initialization of the permit(s) into our tracking system, and payment of applicable fees. Documents for plan review must be brought in on a flash drive in PDF format, and cannot be delivered via courier, fax, or mail.
- Prior to the appointment, make sure to have all applicable forms filled out and saved to a USB drive. We do not accept any paper applications or plans.
- Be ready to pay for the plan review portion of the permit. We do not take payments over the phone and only accept Visa, MasterCard, Check, & Cash.
- See our tips for a successful intake for further information.
When Plan Review is Required
A Mechanical, Electrical, or Plumbing permit typically requires review when associated with a new commercial building, commercial kitchen, or educational facility. Review the application for more information when plan review is required as each permit type has its own thresholds for when plan review is required. Typical plan review time for Mechanical, Electrical or Plumbing permits is two (2) weeks.
A copy of the permit card and set of plans are required to be on site at all times. You can download your permit record and plans via our E-Track Portal.
Inspections need to be requested throughout the entire process and before covering up any work that has been done. Skipping inspections could lead to a delay in your project.
- Schedule through our E-Track portal OR
- Call 425-556-2435 and use the pin number on the permit record.
- Permit(s) are valid for 180 days without any inspections. Each inspection request extends the permit 180 days.
- Extension requests are per our fee schedules.
A FINAL inspection is required to complete the inspection process.