Redmond's Comprehensive Plan establishes the City's future vision and policy direction.
From an original incorporated area of three square blocks, the City has expanded to its present size of over 17.14 square miles. Regional growth around the Eastside will continue to impact Redmond as more people and businesses are attracted to the area. Redmond 2030 is Redmond's Comprehensive Plan, which outlines framework policies that inform decision making to shape growth over the next decades.
One important addition with the 2011 Comprehensive Plan update is that it employs sustainability as an organizing principle across the Plan elements. Sustainability allows us to preserve and enhance what we have in order to plan for and achieve a livable Redmond community. The Comprehensive Plan anticipates the next 20 years with the directive of guiding the City’s actions through the lens of the sustainability principles.
What would Redmond be like as a place to live, work or visit if the community’s values and preferences were achieved?
The excerpt from the vision statement describes Redmond in the year 2030 if the Comprehensive Plan were implemented:
In 2030 Redmond citizens describe their community as one that is complete, offering a wide range of services, opportunities, and amenities. It’s a community that has acted to maintain a balance among the three pillars of sustainability, while accommodating growth and change. As a result, Redmond’s high quality of life, cherished natural features, distinct places, and character are enhanced. The community’s evolution has successfully woven the small town feel of older, established neighborhoods with the energy and vitality of Redmond’s urban centers. The result is a place where people are friendly, often meet others they know and feel comfortable and connected. It is a place where diversity and innovation are embraced, and action is taken to achieve community objectives. It’s a place that is home to people from a variety of ethnic backgrounds, which contribute to the richness of the city’s culture.
Achieving a balance between accommodating growth and preserving Redmond’s unique features and livability was challenging, but over the past 20 years through the clear, shared direction contained in the Comprehensive Plan, the vision has taken shape and throughout Redmond the results are apparent.
- In 2030 Redmond’s two urban centers—Downtown and Overlake—are thriving centers of residential and commercial activity.
- Redmond is treasured for its attractive character, natural assets, friendly and welcoming atmosphere, diversity, safety and quiet settings.
- In 2030 Redmond has a park and open space system that provides a natural area or recreational opportunity within walking distance of every resident.
- Redmond’s 2030 transportation system offers people a variety of real choices for how we get between where we live, work, shop and play.
- Infrastructure and services meet the needs of a growing population and promote a safe and healthy community.
- Redmond provides high-quality public safety services.
- Redmond in 2030 has maintained a very green character.
- Redmond has reached its ultimate size, having annexed all remaining territory in its Potential Annexation Area so that residents may receive a full range of urban services.
- Redmond is an integral member of the regional planning community.
- Though the city has experienced growth and change during the past 20 years, Redmond has maintained its distinctive character.
- Community gathering places are found throughout the city.
- Care has been given to preserve elements of the natural environment.
- The cost of providing and maintaining Redmond’s quality services and facilities is borne equitably, balancing the needs of the community with those of the individual.
In 2030, as now, Redmond is a community working together and with others in the region to implement a common vision for Redmond’s sustainable future.
- Comprehensive Plan Annexation Regional Planning Element (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Capital Facilities Element (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Community Character Historic Preservation Element (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Economic Vitality Element (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Glossary (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Goals Vision Framework Element (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Housing Element (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Human Services Element (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Introduction (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Land Use Element (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Natural Environment Element (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Neighborhoods Element - Part 1 (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Neighborhoods Element - Part 2 (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Neighborhoods Element - Part 3 (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Parks Arts Recreation Culture Conservation Element (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Participation Implementation Evaluation Element (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Shoreline Master Program (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Title Page (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Transportation Element (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Urban Centers Element (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Utilities Element (PDF)