Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
A Redmond in which all residents can fully and effectively access city services, influence city policy and direction, and feel a sense of belonging and safety.
Establish and support strategic practices that increase our city’s ability to provide excellent services; encourages cross-cultural interactions; and strengthens our relationship with our diverse communities.
- Develop a two-year workplan that focuses on organizational and community programming, a six-part strategic approach to organizational change (including policies and practices), and on-going programming for city employees, leadership, elected officials, and community.
- Align best practices that support the development, resiliency, and post COVID-19 recovery of our growing and diverse community (i.e. Human Services and Businesses)
- Advocate for adoption of resolutions that publicly reaffirm the City’s commitment to the values of inclusion and belonging (such as Resolution 1531to be an inclusive community that rejects stigma and bias related to COVID-19 and Resolution 1534 declaring Redmond to be a hate free zone and reaffirming values of inclusion)
- Work to identify and eliminate resolutions, policies, and procedures that have historical and current racist, prejudicial, biased, and discriminatory implications.
- Community satisfaction rating (new).
- Number of staff and members of boards, commissions, and committees receiving training on equity or cultural competency (new).
- Percentage of staff, members of boards, commissions, and committees who identify as part of an under-represented community (new).
- Continue to provide programming in the form of trainings, celebrations, events, activities, coalition building with neighboring cities and community groups; develop opportunities for cross-cultural interactions; and implement welcoming city practices.
- Promote equity through effective and strategic communication practices, deliberate collaborations, and an inclusive organizational culture.
- Identify and establish collaborations and partnerships with diverse group, businesses, and organizations to ensure a safe, resilient, and engaged community.
- Support the implementation of DEI best practices to meet the growing needs of our communities and organization through participation in regional coalitions and initiatives and compliance with ADA and Title VI.
- Expand community outreach and engagement efforts through the establishment of a community advisory group, targeted outreach, and diversify community partnerships.
- Inform city practices, procedures, and policies to align with DEI objectives; identify potential barriers or challenges and opportunities.