Draft Chapter Available for Review
This is a first draft based on what we have heard from the community so far. Once you've read the draft, please let us know if you think we are on the right track by answering this short 5-minute questionnaire.
Questions? You can reach our team at Redmond2050@redmond.gov.
- Housing is fundamental to a high quality of life.
- The Housing Element affects housing supply, housing choices, and housing affordability.
- Policies that enable us to meet regional growth targets.
- The element integrates themes of equity and inclusion, sustainability, and resiliency into housing practices, regulations, and partnerships.
What you said
- Allow more housing types across Redmond
- Preserve existing affordable housing opportunities
- Support housing affordability
- Foster equitable housing opportunities
- Grow home ownership opportunities
- Improve the environmental sustainability and energy efficiency of housing and other buildings
What's New in the Housing Element
The draft Housing Element responds to community priorities as well as state, regional, and county requirements.
- The draft policies emphasize housing affordability and diversity, consistent with the 2021 Housing Action Plan.
- The draft element calls for expanding opportunities for affordable homeownership options such as multiplexes and backyard homes.
- The draft policies call for eliminating racial and other disparities in housing and neighborhood choices by identifying and removing barriers over which the City has control.
- The draft element incorporates sustainability strategies from the Environmental Sustainability Action Plan.
- The draft updates bring City housing policy into alignment with new state legislation concerning emergency housing, permanent supportive housing, transitional housing, and emergency shelters.
- The draft policies promote inclusion through visitable housing, universal design, and other tools.
Community and stakeholder comments will be used to create a draft 2.0 this summer.
- Housing Needs Assessment
- Housing Action Plan
- Required Updates
- Housing Action Plan Public Involvement Report
- "Missing Middle" housing type examples
- June 9 | Planning Commission Memo, A-Housing Options and Alternatives, B-Housing Change Matrix, Presentation
- Sept 28, 2021 Council Study Session
- Housing Policy Feedback
- Incorporating Your Feedback