This bridge amendment package is primarily focused on the City’s growing urban center of Overlake (OV) and the newer neighborhood of the Marymoor Village (MDD).
- The first amendment realigns the development incentive packages found in RZC 21.12.170 OV Incentive Program and RZC 21.13.220 MDD Incentive Program to better meet the growing demands of affordable housing, sustainability, and economic vitality.
- The second portion of this amendment package proposes to amend RZC 21.12.100 OV Building Height that regulates Overlake building heights. The amendment regards subterranean parking and shallow groundwater and their relationship to the maximum height allowed within Overlake. Portions of the Overlake neighborhood experience shallow groundwater tables making subterranean parking less feasible. This results in the need for above-ground parking structures that effectively reduce the amount of floor area that could otherwise be devoted to non-parking uses. A structure’s height is directly impacted by the placement of required parking within the project site.
- The last portion of this amendment package rectifies an unintentional conflict of the code regarding building modulations over rights-of-way (RZC 21.62.030.E.2.c.iii Overlake Village Zones Supplemental Design Standards – Design of Large Buildings) and City’s Standard Specifications for Road, Bridge, and Municipal Construction. The proposed amendment would align the code and the street standards by not allowing building modulations into the right-of-way.
Special Announcement of Continued Public Hearing
The City of Redmond Planning Commission will continue its Public Hearing for the Redmond Zoning Code ReWrite Phase 1 on September 22, 2021 at 7:00 p.m. or as soon thereafter as possible. The original public hearing notice is linked here for additional information.
For those wanting to provide verbal or written comment, please review the additional process details and deadlines for the Commission’s virtual public hearing:
- All persons are invited to comment online at the public hearing, or in writing prior to the hearing.
- Written testimony should be sent to the Planning Department at City Hall, P.O. Box 97010, Redmond, Washington, 98073-9710. Written testimony may also be provided by e-mail to email@example.com or by fax to (425) 556-4242. All written testimony must be received by 5:00 p.m. the day the hearing.
- Oral testimony can be provided by phone during the meeting by providing a name and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m. the day of the hearing.
- For more information about the Redmond Zoning Code Rewrite, please contact Kimberly Dietz, Senior Planner, 425-556-2415, email@example.com.
|Q1 2022||City Council||Anticipated staff report, possible study session, and action by the City Council|
|November 9, 2021||City Council||Anticipated briefing to the City Council's Committee of the Whole -- Planning and Public Works|
|tbd||Planning Commission||Additional dates may be necessary for the Commission to complete their review, make a recommendation, and approve their report to the City Council|
|October 27, 2021||Planning Commission||Study Session|
|September 22, 2021||Planning Commission||Continued Public Hearing and Study Session|
|September 8, 2021||Planning Commission||Public Hearing and Study Session -- public hearing notice with information about providing testimony and for viewing the virtual meeting|
|August 25, 2021||Planning Commission||Planning Commission study session to begin review and prepare for its public hearing on Technical Committee recommended amendments to the Zoning Code. Planning Commission agenda and materials|
|August 4, 2021||Open House and Office Hours||Open House and Office Hours, 1:30 to 3:00 p.m. for participants to discuss project components and amendments with the individual project component leads.|
|July 5, 2021||SEPA Determination Appeal Period||The appeal period for SEPA-2021-00452 determination of non-significance open from July 5 through July 19, 2021.|
|June 18, 2021||SEPA Determination, Comment, Appeal Period||The comment period for SEPA-2021-00452 determination of non-significance open from June 18, 2021 through July 2, 2021.|
|June 2021||Project Initialization for Formal Review||Proposed Zoning Code amendments (see Project Actions and Documents to the right) initialized in City's EnerGov permitting system to begin formal review (Type VI Permit) process. Project record comprised of LAND-2021-00451 and SEPA-2021-00452.|
|May and June, 2021||Communication and Involvement||Seeking feedback from project stakeholders, community, and for SEPA comment period|
|March 2021||Amendment Development||Drafting amendment language|
|February 24, 2021||Planning Commission||Project briefing regarding scope and anticipated schedule|
Setting a Foundation for the Future
A periodic update to Redmond's Comprehensive Plan is also underway to reflect the vision for 2050. Future updates to the Zoning Code will be necessary to ensure consistency with the Comprehensive Plan's policies. Additional updates will also be necessary as new policies are reflected in the City's functional plans such as the Transportation Master Plan; Parks, Arts, Recreation, Culture, and Conservation Plan; Environmental Sustainability Action Plan; and other such plans.
The 2020 - 2021 amendments will provide a clear, concise, and improved zoning code upon which the subsequent amendments will be provided.
Become a Party of Record
Submit your contact information including your name, business name, address, phone, and email David Lee. You will receive updates regarding the Redmond Zoning Code Rewrite as it proceeds. (RZC 21.78 Definitions - Party of Record)