Per the Washington State Fire Code, 2018 edition, a mobile food preparation vehicles ("food truck") is a vehicle equipped with appliances that produce smoke or grease-laden vapors or utilize liquefied petroleum (LP)-gas systems or compressed natural gas (CNG) systems for the purpose of preparing and serving food to the public. The operation of a mobile food preparation vehicle ("food truck") in the City of Redmond requires a fire code permit and a fire inspection. Please see the Redmond Fire Department fee schedule for the current permit fees.
Food trucks that have been inspected within the last year by a partner fire agency, including Seattle Fire, Bellevue Fire, Valley Regional Fire Authority, and Renton Regional Fire Authority, may have its Redmond permit fees reduced by 50%. Additional information about this partnership and our partners may be found by submitting a query on the King County Fire Chiefs Association website.
- To obtain a permit, please complete the following steps:
- Complete the mobile food preparation vehicle permit application form (PDF) and email it to FLS@redmond.gov.
- A department staff member will contact you to schedule an inspection, which may occur at Redmond City Hall (15670 NE 85th St) or another approved location within the City of Redmond.
- If the inspector approves your inspection, pay the permit invoice. You will receive an email with a link to pay the invoice through the Redmond ePermitting System via a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover credit or debit card. Payment may also be made by check at the Development Services Center in Redmond City Hall.
Permits are valid for 12 months from the month of inspection.
If you have been contacted by a fire marshal, please obtain a Redmond mobile food preparation vehicle permit within 2 weeks. If you have not obtained a permit within 2 weeks, you may be subject to a cease and desist order.
All base fire code requirements are from the 2018 International Fire Code, Section 319.
- City of Redmond business license (listed as a "Redmond general business license" under your 16-digit UBI number in the Washington Dept. of Revenue website)
- State of Washington Department of Labor & Industries approval sticker on truck
- State of Washington Department of Health approval
- At least 1 2-A:20-B:C extinguisher
- Serviced within past year
- If using a deep fat fryer or solid fuels, must have a Class K (906.4)
- Cooking hoods
- Hood type (IFC 607)
- Must be Type 1 (UL 300) or UL 710
- Must have a manufacturer's sticker on the side of the hood
- Hood serviced (IFC 904.12.5) within 6 months and marked with a corresponding servicing sticker
- Hood cleaned (IFC 607.3) within the last 6 months and marked with a corresponding sticker
- Hood type (IFC 607)
- Must have UL-listed hood grease filters (IFC 607.3.1)
- LP-gas containers (IFC 319.8)
- No more than 200 pounds in aggregate volume
- (319.10.3) If permanently affixed, must have a tag showing the inspecting agency's name and the date of the satisfactory inspection. The inspecting agency must be
- an approved agency or
- a company approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation that is certified to requalify LP-gas cylinders
- CNG containers (IFC 319.9)
- Must have a tag from an approved inspection agency from within the last 3 years indicating the agency and the date of satisfactory inspection (319.10.3)
- No more than 1300 pounds in aggregate volume
Permitted Vehicles (in alphabetical order)
|Business||Vehicle License Plate||Permit Status||Issue Date||Expiration Date|
|Bandido's Mexican Grill||BUZ0755||Issued||11/01/2021||11/01/2022|
|Dick's Drive-In Restaurants||STEER1||Issued||03/01/2022||03/01/2023|
|MIT Food Truck||C16553W||Issued||05/01/2022||05/01/2023|
|Mr. Gyros on Wheels||C10814S||Issued||06/01/2022||06/01/2023|
|Northwest Share Vegetarian Food Truck||C31833V||Issued||06/01/2022||06/01/2023|
|Northwest Share Vegetarian Food Truck||C46515E||Issued||06/01/2022||06/01/2023|
|Sapori Italiani (L'Italiano)||C14608Y||Issued||07/01/2022||07/01/2023|
|Where Ya At?||B78685V||Issued||05/01/2022||05/01/2023|
Pending Permit Issuance (in alphabetical order)
|Business||Vehicle License Plate||Last Contacted||Permit Required By|
|Akamai Beach Grill||34798AE|
|Kautzman Kettle Corn||97866AG||07/08/2022||08/07/2022|
|QT Food Truck||45244AE||02/01/2022||03/03/2022|
|Tutta Bella D'Asporto Food Truck||C27254G|