Derby Dash 5k
Join us for our very first virtual Derby Dash 5K race! Whether you walk, jog or run, virtual 5K races are a great way to still participate in the event, while social distancing. We invite you to complete the race where you safely can; your treadmill at home, around your neighborhood, or on a local trail.
Participants will receive a t-shirt and a portion of the race fee will be donated to our charity partner, Open Kitchen. If you wish to increase your donation amount, please use the drop down arrow upon checkout to make your selection.
This is a VIRTUAL activity. Participation will take place individually. Early bird registration is from June 8 - June 20 and then price will be increased until registration closes.
Registration Dates: June 8 to June 28
Early Bird Registration: June 8 to 20 ($20 per participant)
Regular Registration: June 21 to July 9 ($25 per participant)
Registration Link: https://apm.activecommunities.com/redmondparksandrec/Activity_Search/19176
We can’t wait to "see" you at the event!
How does a virtual race work?A virtual race can be run or walked from anywhere and at anytime of day! Once you register, simply complete the race wherever you choose (treadmill, outdoors, etc.). We encourage our participants to complete the race on July 10th or July 11th to mimic the "feeling of community" when participating in a traditional in-person race, but feel free to choose any day that works for you. Don’t forget to submit your results (and a photo!) on July 12th.
When do I receive my shirt?
Pickup dates will be announced at a later date.
What equipment do I need?
- Your "mode" of running (treadmill, outdoors, etc.)
- A way to track your distance (download a free app on your phone: MapMyRun, Strava, RunKeeper, Nike Run Club, Endomondo, or whatever app you feel comfortable with)
What will it take to be successful?
- Prepare for the virtual race just like you would for a traditional race by fueling/hydrating properly, doing a warm up and cool down, and stretching.
- If you’re running outside, plan your route ahead of time so you are prepared!
- Check the weather- the beauty of a virtual race is that there is not a "set" start time so make sure to take advantage of this flexibility!
- Make sure you know how to operate your run tracking app on your phone (go on a run/walk using the app a few days before the race!)
Who is Open Kitchen?
Open Kitchen, a ministry of Redmond United Methodist Church (RUMC), has grown out of the belief that we are called to work acts of justice for our brothers and sisters throughout the world and in our local community in hopes of making a positive difference. Over time, a passion for feeding the hungry has often directed many service efforts at RUMC. The primary goals of Open Kitchen are to promote a sense of community, marked by dignity and respect, to serve a warm meal, and to ensure that no one leaves hungry.