- Departments & Divisions
- Sammamish Valley
- PSE Sammamish Juanita Transmission Line
PSE Sammamish Juanita Transmission Line
Visit PSE's project webpage
What: Construct a new 115 kV transmission line from Sammamish Substation along the east side of Willows Road to the Juanita Substation in Kirkland.
Project Status: Approved
This project has been reviewed and approved by the City’s Hearing Examiner, a private, non-partisan land use attorney.
Permit Application Review: The project included both a Site Plan Entitlement and Conditional Use Permit, which means this project has been through full project review and processed per the Redmond Zoning Code criteria. All permit requirements were met.
Environmental Review: This project completed a full environmental review. The City of Kirkland was the lead agency working in partnership with the City of Redmond, per the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA), which states that the city with the majority of the project takes the lead on environmental review. Environmental impacts disclosed were determined to be non-significant.
The project exceeds the City’s 35% tree retention requirements, retaining 60% of the significant trees within the project area. All removed trees will be replaced per the City’s tree regulations.
Minimal impacts to streams and wetlands will be mitigated per city regulations. PSE will replace six culverts, including three which are fish passable, in the project area.
- 2008-2009: PSE begins community outreach
- 2011-2012: PSE worked with Stakeholder Advisory Group (SAG)
- 2011-2012: PSE hosted community open houses in December 2011, June 2012, and August 2012
- Sept. 2012: SAG recommended preferred route
- 2014: PSE finds preferred and fallback route to have challenges
- 2015 - 2019: PSE discussed locating in BNSF/RCC corridor east of Willows Road
- March 2020: PSE filed land use applications, City issues notice of application (mailing within 500’, posted three yellow land use action signs, posted in City Hall and Redmond Library)
- May 21, 2020: PSE hosted virtual neighborhood meeting (mailing within 500’ and parties of record)
- Aug. 23, 2021: City issued notice of public hearing (mailing within 500’ and parties of record, posted three land use signs, posted in City Hall and Redmond Library and published hearing notice in Seattle Times)
- Sept. 13, 2021: Hearing Examiner held public hearing
- Sept. 29, 2021: Hearing Examiner issued approval decision, no appeals were filed
- Spring/summer 2023: Construction anticipated to begin
Project Number: LAND-2020-00198
Project Type: Type III Conditional Use Permit and Type II Site Plan Entitlement
Notice of Application (PDF)
September 13, 2021 at 6:00pm (PDF)
Hearing Examiner Schedule & Information for 2021 (LINK)