Light Rail Extension
The City's Role with Light Rail
Although this is a Sound Transit project, the City of Redmond is working together with them to share information on construction, traffic impacts, and other issues that may affect our community or nearby homes, businesses, or properties during design and construction of light rail.
Construction is underway at the Overlake Village and Redmond Technology (previously Overlake Transit Center) Stations. Both are scheduled to open in 2023.
- Both Overlake Village Pedestrian Bridge trusses have been set in place over SR 520. Watch a video of the first half being placed on May 17, 2020.
- In early 2020 Sound Transit's systems contractor began work in Overlake on systems like power, communications, and signals.
- The contractor has been finalizing the signal and pedestrian upgrades at 36th Street and 156th Avenue, and associated paving.
- Concrete work continues on Plaza Street and the adjacent sidewalks at Overlake Village Station.
- Construction of both stations is progressing, with completion of civil construction expected in mid-2020.
Sound Transit’s design-build team is well into final design for the 3.4-mile light rail extension from Overlake to Downtown Redmond. The extension has two stations: one in Southeast Redmond in Marymoor Village, and one in Downtown adjacent to the Redmond Central Connector, at 166th. Both are scheduled to open in 2024
- In June 2020 Sound Transit published a design update video.
- In April 2020 the Redmond Design Review Board approved the architectural design for both stations.
- In winter and spring 2020 the design-builder conducted a variety of site investigation activities along the alignment to support final design.
- In October 2019 Sound Transit broke ground on the Downtown Extension.
- In September 2019, Sound Transit directed the design-builder, Stacy and Witbeck/Kuney, a Joint Venture (SWK), to begin work. SWK is responsible for design and construction of the Downtown extension.
- Sound Transit’s civil construction contractor will complete most work in Overlake by the end of 2020.
- Construction on the Downtown extension is underway with haul road construction, building demolition, tree removal, and preparing for cut-and-cover tunnels under NE 40th St. and NE 51st St. occurring in the remainder of 2020.