Redmond City Landmarks
Redmond City Park, 7802 168th Avenue NE
Now known as Anderson Park, this park was the first park in the City and was developed in 1938 as part of the federal Works Progress Administration. In 2008 and 2009, Anderson Park was listed on the Washington Heritage Register and the National Register of Historic Places, respectively.
Redmond City Park, also known as Albert Anderson Memorial Park, was the first park in the City of Redmond. This park was the site of the first Redmond School, the bell from which is now located on the City Hall campus in a niche on the Public Safety Building.
The land for the park was purchased in 1928 for $1 from the Redmond School District and then adjacent land was donated by Ezra Sikes and Jennie Adair Sikes. The Adair House was named for Jennie Adair Sikes and the Fullard house was named for Clarence “Clary” Fullard who maintained the park from 1954 to 1977. Mr. Fullard also helped to organize the first Redmond Fire Department.
The park contains two log cabins and a picnic shelter. In 1938, the Adair and Fullard Houses and an open-air picnic shelter were built by the Works Progress Administration which also landscaped the park and built the rockery on its perimeter. The Junior Nokomis Club (one of Redmond’s first organized group of volunteers) helped fund materials for building the log cabins which were used as city offices and the first Senior Center. These structures can now be rented for gatherings.
The picnic shelter was renovated in 2011 and this renovation project is truly remarkable for its use of 1938 construction techniques and materials that shows how Redmond values and cares for buildings that are part of its heritage. Albert Anderson Memorial Park represents the support and enhancement that WPA workers and volunteers have done for the City of Redmond. In fact, Albert “Andy" Anderson was named the first Superintendent of the Park; he helped install much of today’s landscaping and volunteered his time to work with the teen community.