Administrative Modification

What is it?

Approval of an Administrative Modification is required to modify any final approval on a project, excluding any approvals granted by passage by an ordinance or resolution of the City Council and request to revise a preliminary plat.
A proposed modification or addition will be reviewed as an Administrative Modification, if the modification meets the following criteria:
  • No new land use is proposed
  • No increase in density, number of dwelling units or lots is proposed
  • No change in location or number of access points are proposed
  • No reduction in the amount of landscaping is proposed
  • No reduction in the amount of parking is proposed
  • No increase in the total square footage of structures to be developed is proposed
  • No increase in height of structures is proposed to the extent that additional usable floor space will be added
A modification that does not meet the criteria above, but does not add more than the lesser of 10% or 6,000 square feet of gross floor area, may be reviewed as an Administrative Modification.
Your project may require State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) review if the project is within or near critical areas (i.e. streams, wetlands, steep slopes, critical aquifer recharge area) or exceeds the SEPA categorical exemptions specified in RZC 21.70.

How Much Does it Cost?

Our review fee is a flat fee and is established within the Development Review Fee Schedule. An initial fee is required to be paid at the time of application submittal. Subsequent review fees may apply if additional review is required.  All associated fees can be found in the fee schedule linked below.
Development Review Fee Schedule

How Long Does It Take?

How long it takes us to complete our review of your proposal depends on several factors, including the:
  • Complexity of your proposal
  • Quality of your plans and project documentation
  • Timely response to correction letters and requests for further information
  • Public interest

Steps to Get Your Application Approved

1. Research
Find your property information. Research your site to help you plan your project. Use our Property Viewer Interactive Map to find zoning and critical areas information.
Determine restrictions to your project. Research the Redmond Zoning Code to determine standards that will apply to your proposal.

Zoning Information 
State Environmental Policy Act (RZC 21.70)
Critical Areas Ordinance (RZC 21.64)
Tree Protection Regulations (RZC 21.72)
Request a Pre-Application Conference (optional).  We offer pre-application conferences to answer any project specific and process related questions. This one-hour meeting is held Thursdays. For more information see Pre-Application Conference Tip Sheet.

2. Start the Application Process

Submit an application. Get an application number by submitting your application to the Development Services Center.  You will need to provide all information noted in the applicable submittal requirement checklist.
Administrative Modification Submittal Requirements Checklist         

Prepare your plans and technical documents. Plans and technical document must be electronic and in accordance with the requirements specified within the submittal checklist.

Tip Sheet – Design Review Board
Tip Sheet – SEPA  
3. Submit Application
Schedule an intake appointment. Call 425-556-2494 to schedule an intake appointment at the Development Services Center. Application submittals are only accepted on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Pay fee. Application fees are due at application submittal.
Wait for public notice. We may issue a public notice for your project as required by RZC 21.76.080. You are responsible for installing a yellow public notice board.  The City will work with you to determine when and where the sign needs to be installed.  We’ll consider all public comments during the 21 day public comment period.
Yellow Public Notice Board Instructions       
Read our decision. We will publish our decision on your project on our Land Use Action Notice webpage. Additionally, the decision will be mailed to you and any parties of record.
Submit an appeal. If you or a member of the public disagrees with our decision, you may file an appeal with the Office of the City Clerk within 14 days from when we publish our decision.