Police FAQ
For civil related matters such as court orders, fines, divorce papers, passports, protection orders, small claims service, and tickets, contact the King County NE District Court, 206-205-9200.

Accident Report Forms
decorative line image

Washington State Collision Report Forms are available at most police departments and on the Washington State Patrol website. If an officer did not take a report after a collision, you are required by law to complete this form if the damage to any involved vehicle exceeds $1000 or if anyone is injured. A copy of the completed form should be mailed to the WSP address on the form within 72 hours of the incident.

Alarms (Commercial and Residential)
decorative line image

Effective April 15, 2016, the Redmond Police Department updated its commercial and residential burglary alarm protocol. Please see our alarm page for more information. Questions regarding burglary alarm response protocols may be directed to Communications at 425-556-2500 or email: police@redmond.gov.

Alien Firearms Licenses
decorative line image

Alien Firearms Licenses are no longer issued at the Redmond Police Department.  Applicants should contact the King County Sheriff’s Office.

Animal Control and Licenses
decorative line image

For all non-emergency domestic animal matters, contact King County Animal Control at 206-296-PETS. Refer to Wildlife section for additional information.

Background Checks/Criminal History
decorative line image

Contact Washington State Patrol's WATCH program at 360-534-2000.

Bicycle Laws
decorative line image

Bicyclists riding on the road have all rights and responsibilities of a motorized vehicle and are subject to the same citations as motorists. Bicyclists should always ride with the flow of traffic (RCW 46.61). Bicycles are permitted on sidewalks and have all rights and responsibilities of a pedestrian.

Bicycle Helmets
decorative line image

Any person operating or riding a bicycle, or cycle not powered by motor, on a public roadway, bicycle path, or any right-of-way or publicly owned facility under the jurisdiction of King County shall wear a protective helmet designed for bicycle safety (Code of the King County Board of Health, Title 9). Bicycle and ski/snowboard helmets of all sizes are on sale at the Redmond Police Department.

Car/Vehicle Tabs
decorative line image

Contact the Department of Licensing at 360-902-3600.

Child Car Seats
decorative line image

The Redmond Police Department does not perform car seat safety inspections. For assistance, contact the Washington State Safety Restraint Coalition at 1-800-bucklup.

Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) Related Records Requests
decorative line image

Please provide copies of the CIS request to the Records Division. We retain a copy of this paperwork and send it with copies of your arrest record(s) directly to CIS. If you do not have your CIS paperwork available, you will need to complete a Request for Disclosure Form. We respond to your request for arrest records within 5 business days. View the current fees for this service

City Limits/Jurisdiction
decorative line image

RPD serves all addresses located within the city limits of Redmond. All parts of unincorporated Redmond is served by the King County Sheriff, 206-296-3311.

Citizen Letters
decorative line image

The most effective way to get a clearance letter regarding your criminal history is through the Washington State Patrol’s WATCH program.  The information provided by WATCH will include criminal history conviction information for the entire State of Washington.  For local history only, you may request a notarized citizen letter in person at the Records Division of the police department.  The Records team is available for this service Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. excluding holidays, and only if you are a current or former City of Redmond resident with proof of residency.  View the current fees for this service.  We require picture ID and conduct a records check for local history, within the City of Redmond only

Concealed Pistol Licenses (CPL)
decorative line image

Washington State Law requires residents to apply for a CPL in the jurisdiction where they reside. If you have a Redmond mailing address but reside outside the city limits, you must apply through the King County Sheriff's Office. For all options below, a current, valid picture-ID is required. If your ID does not have a current Redmond address, please bring proof of residency, such as a utility bill.

Redmond residents may apply for an original CPL between 9:00 - 10:30 a.m., Tuesday and Thursday at the front counter of the Public Safety Building. Please allow up to 30 minutes, depending upon the number of other applicants. (You may also apply through the King County Sheriff's Office which offers more days and times.) An original CPL is $50.75 and is valid for 5 years from the date of issue.

Redmond residents may renew or replace a CPL anytime during regular business hours. The renewal fee is $32.00 and is valid for 5 years from the date of expiration of the current license. You have up to 90 days prior to the license expiration date to renew it. If you renew your CPL within 90 days after the expiration date, the late renewal fee is $42.00. CPLs more than 90 days expired are no longer valid; you must apply for an original. The replacement fee is $10 and will hold the original expiration date.

Please allow up to thirty (30) days for any type of CPL application to be processed.

Methods of payment acceptable at the Police Department: VISA, MasterCard or personal check. All cash payments must be made in person at City Hall, 2nd floor.

Discovery Requests
decorative line image

Requests for cases under active prosecution must be made through the appropriate prosecutor's office. If the case is being handled by the City of Redmond Prosecutor, Discovery Request forms can be obtained at the Redmond Police Department. By law, the Prosecutor's Office has 21 days to respond to the request.

Driver License
decorative line image

View the Department of Licensing website, or contact by phone at 360-902-3600.


As the use of hobby and commercial Unmanned Aircraft Systems (drones) increases, many of you may have questions on appropriate and safe flying. The City of Redmond does not currently have an overarching ordinance that specifically addresses drones. However, please note that per RMC 9.32.215, flying any motorized model aircraft in city parks, including drones, is prohibited.

We encourage everyone to review the new FAA guidance for both commercial and hobby drones at this website: http://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/. There you will find requirements for flying, safety guidelines that should be followed and frequently asked questions.

We also advise the public, if at any time, the noise of a drone, or perception of invasion of privacy is an issue, please report your concerns to 911 at the time it is happening.


See our 2017 user fee schedule.

decorative line image

The Redmond Police Department does not provide fingerprint services. You may contact private companies in the area that provide this service.

 The King County Sheriff’s Office provides fingerprinting for citizens in unincorporated KC and in their contract cities only. Please see their website for more information.

Firearms Dealer License
decorative line image

City of Redmond residents may apply Tuesday and Thursday between 9:00 - 10:30 a.m. Applicants must provide a copy of a valid Federal Firearms Dealer License, Washington State Business License, Redmond Business License, and photo ID. A check for $125 payable to the State of Washington must accompany applications.

decorative line image

It is unlawful to sell, possess, use, or explode any dangerous fireworks within the city of Redmond. This prohibition shall not apply to duly-authorized public displays (Redmond Municipal Code 9.26.020).

Jail Information
decorative line image

RPD does not have a jail, but has a booking facility where a person can be held up to 6 hours. RPD uses jails operated by King County. To speak with a prisoner, contact the jail in which he/she is located. Inmate names are often available on jail websites.

Lost & Found Property
decorative line image

The Property and Evidence Division frequently receives property found by citizens, most commonly bicycles, key rings, backpacks, wallets, and purses. An appointment is required to pick up property. The Property and Evidence Division can be reached Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Contact 425-556-2532. RPDEvidence@Redmond.gov 

For anything with a serial number, help police contact you if your property is found. Register Your Valuables.

Northeast District Court
decorative line image

For all civil related matters such as fines, tickets, obtain court orders, divorce papers, protection orders, apply for a passport, or for small claims matters, contact the Northeast District Court at 206-205-9200. The Redmond Police Department is not connected with NEDC. Northeast District Court is a King County Court (as opposed to a city court), is located at 8601 160th Avenue NE next to the library, and has its own parking lot off 160th Ave NE. 

Public Defenders
decorative line image

Arrangements for a Public Defender are made at Northeast District Court, 206-205-9200. Public Defender payments should be made at the Finance Department in City Hall (15670 NE 85th Street).

Record Requests
decorative line image

Requests for police case reports must be submitted to the Redmond Police Department. The Records Division will respond within 5 business days (RCW 42.17.320). This response may be the requested case copy or a letter stating that more time is required to process the request. All requests are subject to Public Disclosure Law. Please see our Police Records Request page for further information. See our 2017 fee schedule for case report costs.

School Bus Laws
decorative line image

We receive several questions about vehicle driver's laws with regards to passing a school bus.  The law is commonly misunderstood.  Check the infographic here to better understand what to do when a school bus has flashing lights on and a stop paddle or bar out. 

decorative line image

The Redmond area is home to a wide range of birds and animals. It is not unusual for local residents to see deer, coyotes, raccoons, possum, etc. If someone is in danger, call 911 immediately. To report a threatening or dangerous animal, call the Enforcement Office in Olympia, 360-902-2926.