LED Conversion is Underway for all City Owned Streetlights in Redmond
In 2007, the City of Redmond began installing Light Emitting Diode (LED) technology in traffic signal displays. Replacing 135w incandescent light bulbs with 23w LED displays not only reduced the energy consumption, but extended the maintenance intervals for burned out bulbs. This provided the City with significant savings in energy and maintenance costs.
High Pressure Sodium
Work to convert all of Redmond's city-owned streetlights to LED is now underway and will continue throughout 2017. Converting to LED will result in 50 percent lower energy consumption, four times the bulb life vs. high pressure sodium lights--and a much more uniform light distribution pattern.
(Talk about a bright idea!)
LED Streetlight Retrofit Update
- Council staff report and approval December 2016/January 2017
- Apply for DOC Energy Efficiency Grant in March 2017
- Project Statistics: Retrofit over 1,750 city owned street lights with LEDs. Includes system controls
- Annual outcome benefits: $139,985 utility savings; $19,287 material savings; 1,505,212 annual kWh savings; 2,376,835 lbs. CO2 emissions reduction
- Estimated project cost: $2,076,400. Potential DOC grant of $350,000; PSE rebate of $251,025; $400,000 15/16 energy efficiency program budget; finance the balance
To learn more about this technology, visit Redmond LED Streetlights
Contact: Paul Cho, PE, PTOE
Senior Engineer, Traffic Operations & Safety Engineering
How do I report a streetlight out?
Some streetlights in Redmond are owned and maintained by the City, while others are owned and maintained by Puget Sound Energy. However, any streetlight in need of repair can be reported to the City’s Traffic Operations Safety and Engineering Division by calling 425-556-2701 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Repairs are usually complete within two weeks.
So we can more quickly identify the streetlight’s location, please include the pole number with your report. You’ll find this number at eye level on the pole.
PSE Tag City of Redmond Tag
How can I get a new streetlight installed?
Do you feel your street is too dark? Contact us and we'll see if a new light can be installed.
Contact: 425-556-2701 or Request New Streetlight